|Page (1) of 1 - 07/19/12||email article||print page|
10 Things to Know for Thursday
1. LOOKING AT WHAT'S NEXT FOR SYRIA
Government forces shell neighborhoods in and around Damascus a day after a bombing that killed three of its leaders. The UN Security Council meets at 10 a.m. to vote on a new resolution to deal with the violence.
2. KILLER OF ISRAELIS IN BULGARIA THOUGHT TO BE A SUICIDE BOMBER
The Balkan nation's prime minister says the suspected attacker carried a fake Michigan driver's license.
3. WHO GETS AN EMMY NOD?
Jimmy Kimmel and Kerry Washington will announce the nominees starting at about 8:40 a.m.
4. ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE AND OLYMPIANS ARE BUT ACTORS ON IT
As the Olympics come to the home of William Shakespeare, his works are the inspiration for everything from the Games' opening ceremony to an exhibition at the British Museum.
5. OBAMA COURTS VETERANS AND SENIORS IN FLORIDA
The president speaks at a campaign event in Jacksonville at 1:15 p.m. while continuing to urge opponent Mitt Romney to release more tax returns.
6. HOW A LAWSUIT BY ARIZONA LATINOS WILL IMPACT TRAFFIC STOPS
When the trial starts at 11:30 a.m. Sheriff Joe Arpaio faces allegations that his deputies racially profiled Hispanics.
7. AS BASHAR ASSAD'S REIGN WEAKENS SO DOES HEZBOLLAH'S POWER
The group's support for the Syrian leader contributes to a drop in popularity and made it more vulnerable, some say.
8. REPORT SAYS MILLIONS OF SENIORS RISK LOSING THEIR HOMES
The AARP says 1.5 million of elderly Americans already lost their homes and older African Americans and Hispanics are the hardest hit.
9. HOW TEEN VICTIMS OF TERRORISM LEARN TO COPE
Young men and women from around the globe who have lost a loved one to attacks gather at a Massachusetts summer camp to help each other cope with their losses.
10. LIN GETS TO EXPLAIN HIS NEW YORK PREFERENCE TO HOUSTON MEDIA
The 23-year-old undrafted point guard gets to explain to reporters on Thursday afternoon why he said he wanted to stay in the Big Apple.