|Page (1) of 1 - 07/03/12||email article||print page|
10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (all times EDT):
Late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories of interest (times EDT):
1. FOR A SIGN OF GLOBAL WARMING, CHECK OUT THE WILDFIRES, DROUGHTS AND HEAT WAVES
Scientists say they cannot attribute any one extreme event to climate change, but these are the kinds of weather events that result from it.
2. POPE FIRES SLOVAK BISHOP FOR MISMANAGING HIS DIOCESE
The rare show of papal power could have implications for U.S. sex abuse cases.
3. FROM A WAR-TIME TRAGEDY COMES A TALE OF PERSEVERANCE
Army Staff Sgt. Travis Mills lost all four of his limbs in an Afghanistan explosion, but his spirit remains intact.
4. SYRIA'S PRESIDENT SAYS HE REGRETS SHOOTING DOWN TURKISH JET
A Turkish newspaper quotes Bashar Assad as saying: "I say 100 percent, I wish we did not shoot it down."
5. OBAMA MAY FURTHER CUT NUMBER OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS
Officials say new decisions could bring the number to as low as 1,000.
6. ANOTHER SEARCH FOR AMELIA EARHART STARTS TODAY
A group of scientists, historians and salvagers trek to a remote island in the Pacific as part of the $2.2 million expedition to find the famed aviator's plane.
7. STACK THOSE ROAD MAPS UNDER THE OLD EIGHT-TRACK PLAYER
Technology has made the use of the once-essential traveling tool a thing of the past.
8. MASS. HEALTH CARE LAW SHOWS POSSIBLITIES FOR FEDERAL PLAN
Six years later, former Gov. Mitt Romney's brainchild may point to successes and challenges ahead for President Obama's initiative.
9. PERU'S AMBITIOUS LAPTOP PROGRAM GETS MIXED GRADES
The initiative has equipped more than 800,000 public schoolchildren with computers, but at a cost of more than $200 million.
10. DON'T ASK BLOOMBERG FOR A LARGE SODA TO WASH DOWN THOSE HOT DOGS
New York's mayor, known for his public health initiatives, will preside over the annual weigh-in ceremony for hot dog-eating champions at 1 p.m. as a prelude to Wednesday's contest.