|Page (1) of 1 - 07/10/12||email article||print page|
10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (all times EDT):
1. WHY THE FATE OF THE TAX CUT PLAN SEEMS DUBIOUS
Democrats want to push tax cuts through the Senate for companies that hire new workers while Republicans may use procedural blockades to derail the measure.
2. EGYPT'S LEGISLATURE CONVENES DESPITE COURT RULING
The Islamist-dominated parliament meets in defiance of a ruling by the country's highest court dissolving the legislature.
3. WHY VETERAN HOUSE DEMOCRATS FACE BIGGER ELECTION CHALLENGES
New district boundaries have turned several Democratic-leaning areas to evenly divided ones.
4. EURO FINANCE MINISTERS AGREE ON SPAIN BAILOUT
The deal which is expected to be finalized soon, says 36 billion euros can be ready by the end of the month.
5. EPISCOPAL BISHOPS APPROVE GAY BLESSING PRAYER
The House of Bishops voted to authorize a provisional rite for same-sex unions at a national convention that also cleared the way for transgender ordination.
6. LIKELY CAUSE OF MICHIGAN UNDERGROUND PIPELINE RUPTURE TO BE REVEALED
The NTSB is scheduled to vote on a report submitted by staffers who investigated the July 25, 2010 spill.
7. WHY THE FAILED CHILD LABOR LAW IS STILL BEING DEBATED
Labor Department officials say children performing farm work are four times more likely to be killed than those employed in all other industries combined, but parents call the law misguided.
8. WHY SOME ELDERLY AND VULNERABLE OWNERS ARE LOSING THEIR HOMES OVER $400
A National Consumer Law Center report says outdated state laws and misinformation allow big banks to buy houses for a pittance and resell them.
9. PRINCE BECOMES THE KING OF KANSAS CITY
Detroit Tigers slugger Prince Fielder blasted 28 homers to win the All-Star Home Run Derby for the second time.
10. WHY MR. OCTOBER WAS ASKED TO STAY AWAY
The Yankees want Reggie Jackson to steer clear of the clubhouse and team events following his pointed remarks about Alex Rodriguez and several former stars.