|Page (1) of 1 - 07/17/12||email article||print page|
10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (all times EDT):
1. CLASHES CONTINUE IN DAMASCUS AS ANNAN MEETS WITH RUSSIAN PRESIDENT
The U.N. special envoy joins Vladimir Putin at 7 a.m. to discuss how they can stop the violence in Syria.
2. HOW THE CAMPAIGNS ARE TURNING THEIR STRATEGIES
Mitt Romney tries to shift attention away from his business tenure as he speaks in Pennsylvania at 1:20 p.m. and the president turns to GOP-leaning Texas for fundraising with a speech in San Antonio at 2 p.m.
3. BERNANKE MAY REVEAL NEXT STEPS TOWARD JOLTING ECONOMY
The Fed chairman gives his semiannual report to the Senate Banking Committee at 10 a.m.
4. WHAT'S COOKING FOR THE MISSION TO MARS
Scientists are building a menu for a planned journey to the Red Planet in the 2030s ¯¯¯ not so easy since the total trip is more than two years.
5. YAHOO TURNS TO ITS NEMESIS FOR A NEW CEO
While at Google, Marissa Mayer played a key role in developing services that tormented the company that she will now lead.
6. WHERE IN THE WORLD IS HILLARY CLINTON?
It seems the secretary of state has been almost everywhere, travelling to 102 countries since taking the job, more than any of her predecessors.
7. TEXAS TRIAL BEGINS FOR AIR FORCE INSTRUCTOR CHARGED WITH RAPE
Attorneys start their opening arguments at 9 a.m. in the court-martial of Staff Sgt. Luis Walker in a scandal that has rocked one of the busiest military training centers.
8. ARGENTINA'S MEDIA BATTLE OVER ITS PRESIDENT
Cristina Fernandez's distrust of the press reflects the atmosphere in which her country is deeply polarized by her rule.
9. WHY NEW YORK'S FAST FOOD IS A BIT HEALTHIER
New findings suggest its ban on trans fat in restaurant food may be another key to curbing our obesity epidemic.
10. BOGUS BOMB THREAT SHUTS DOWN A LINK FROM U.S. TO CANADA
Detroit police said the 911 call caused them to close a bridge to Windsor on the Canadian border for more than five hours.