|Page (1) of 1 - 04/10/12||email article||print page|
Assailants throw bomb at UN convoy in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, no one hurt
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) ' Assailants threw a homemade bomb at a U.N. convoy in which the world body's top diplomat in the country was traveling in Libya's main eastern city on Tuesday, according to a security official.
The official, Basit Haroun, said that neither Ian Martin, the U.N. envoy, nor any of his traveling companions were harmed in the attack in Benghazi. Authorities launched a search for the attackers, he said.
A U.N. official confirmed that the attack had taken place. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Libya has been hit by lawlessness since the ouster last year of Moammar Gadhafi, with militiamen who fought the dictator's forces refusing to stand down or hand over their weapons.
Martin was in Benghazi to address students and staff of the city's main university.
Benghazi is the birthplace of the uprising that toppled Gadhafi's 41-year regime.