Monday, November 20, 2017
 
 
News: Page (1) of 1 - 04/30/12 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page facebook
Bahrain orders retrial for hunger striker, others
Bahrain court orders retrial for jailed hunger striker, other activists
By The Associated Press

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) ' A Bahrain court Monday ordered retrials for a prominent hunger striker and 20 others convicted by a military-led tribunal in crackdowns against a 14-month-old uprising in the Gulf kingdom.

The decision, which shifts the cases to Bahrain's highest appeals court, was seen as a victory for supporters of rights activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja and other opposition figures sentenced last year under martial law-style rules imposed by Bahrain's rulers.

But there appeared no immediate possibility for the release of the group, which includes some of the top figures in protests by Bahrain's majority Shiites seeking to break the near monopoly on power held by the Western-backed Sunni dynasty.



At least 50 people have been killed in unrest since February 2011 in the strategic kingdom, home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet. Al-Khawaja's nearly three-month hunger strike has become the latest rallying point for the demonstrations.

The official Bahrain News Agency described the appeals process for al-Khawaja as practically the same as a new trial.

"The court reconsiders the proceedings from the beginning and listens to the witnesses and the prosecution and defense arguments," it said.

Defense attorney Hassan Radhi said the appeals court will decide whether to grant bail while the review is under way. No date has been set to begin the appeal proceedings, he said.

It also was not immediately clear whether al-Khawaja would continue his hunger strike, which began Feb. 8 and which, according to his family, brought him close to death.

His wife visited him Sunday and claimed he was force fed with tubes and IVs against his will. Bahraini officials said al-Khawaja agreed to all procedures.

Al-Khawaja and seven other top opposition figures were sentenced last year to life in prison by a military-led court, which was later disbanded. Six others were sentenced to lesser jail terms as part of the group accused of anti-state crimes, and seven activists were convicted in absentia.

For months, the jailed activists have fought the sentences, claiming violations of legal rights in the now-defunct military court and torture behind bars. None of the defendants appeared in court for Monday's session.

Earlier this month, Bahrain rejected a request by Denmark to take custody of al-Khawaja, who is also a Danish citizen.

In Copenhagen, Danish Foreign Minister Villy Soevndal, called the court decision "positive as a starting point" but noted, "the case is not resolved yet."

"At the same time, we reiterate the need for a fast humanitarian solution," he said. "We hope that the Bahraini authorities, based on today's ruling, will fulfill this demand."

He also urged Bahrain to grant the Danish ambassador immediate access to al-Khawaja.

A similar retrial process is under way in a civilian court for 20 medical professionals convicted by the military-led tribunal of anti-state crimes and sentenced to five to 15 years in prison. The next hearing in their case is scheduled for May 10.

___

Associated Press writer Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen contributed to this report.


Page: 1


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





Our Privacy Policy --- About The U.S. Daily News - Contact Us - Advertise With Us - Privacy Guidelines