|Page (1) of 1 - 09/18/12||email article||print page|
The Portuguese City of Mazagan (El Jadida) is a port city on the Atlantic coast which was seized in 1502 and subsequently ruled by the Portuguese until 1769. It has been acknowledged for its interchange of influences between European and Moroccan cultures. The Portuguese built a citadel here in 1514, and enlarged it into a fortification in 1541. They also constructed 4 churches within the fortification. Remaining buildings from the Portuguese period are the cistern, and the Manueline Church of the Assumption. After the departure of the Portuguese, the city remained uninhabited until the mid-19th century. Unesco declared it a World Heritage Site.
|El Jadida a World Heritage Site|
Source:GrabNetworks (c). All Rights Reserved