|Page (1) of 1 - 07/14/11||email article||print page|
Reports: British police arrest ex-News of the World executive editor in phone hacking probe
LONDON (AP) ' British media say a 60-year-old man arrested on suspicion of phone hacking is Neil Wallis, the former executive editor of the defunct tabloid News of the World.
London police said they arrested a man early Thursday in London but did not name him. The BBC, Sky News and the Press Association said he was Wallis, the paper's deputy editor between 2003 and 2007.
Wallis served under editor Andy Coulson, who resigned after two employees of the paper were jailed in 2007 for hacking into the voice mails of royal staff.
Wallis became executive editor, left the tabloid in 2009 and is now managing director of the Outside Organization, a leading entertainment PR firm.
His arrest is the ninth in police investigations of phone hacking and bribery of police officers.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
LONDON (AP) ' Rupert Murdoch has an obligation to appear before lawmakers to answer questions about the phone hacking scandal at one of his newspapers, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg urged Thursday.
Murdoch had big questions to answer after the widening accusations of eavesdropping and police bribery forced Murdoch's News Corp. to abandon a bid to take full control of British Sky Broadcasting, Clegg said.
The House of Commons committee on Culture, Media and Sport has asked Murdoch to appear next week with his son James and Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive of News International, the News Corp. unit that controls the British newspapers.
"If they have any shred of sense of responsibility or accountability for their position of power, then they should come and explain themselves before a select committee," Clegg said in an interview with BBC radio.
He added, however, that it was unclear whether the committee could compel attendance by Murdoch, who is a U.S. citizen.
Murdoch's hope of making BSkyB a wholly owned part of his News Corp. empire collapsed on Wednesday in the face of what Prime Minister David Cameron called a "firestorm" that has engulfed media, police and politicians.
News Corp. has already shut down News of The World, the scandal-loving Sunday tabloid that is the focus of police investigations of phone hacking and bribery of police officers. On Thursday Scotland Yard said it had made its seventh arrest related to the inquiry into phone hacking at the now-defunct tabloid, whose closure was a doomed effort to keep the BSkyB bid alive.
Police identified the man as a 60-year-old, but his name was not disclosed.
Cameron has appointed a judge for a wide-ranging inquiry into the News of the World scandal and wider issues of media regulation, the relationship between politicians and media and the possibility that illegal practices are more widely employed in the industry.
"It clearly goes beyond News International," Clegg said.
"It is clearly something much more systemic," Clegg said. "I don't think we should allow ourselves to believe that it is just because of the Murdochs, or Rebekah Brooks, or it's all about one commercial transaction, however significant."
Shares in BSkyB steadied Thursday, rising 0.6 percent to 709.5 pence ($11.43) in early trading in London. The shares closed higher on Wednesday for the first time since they began falling sharply last week amid fresh phone hacking allegations.
The News Corp. bid for BSkyB unraveled with stunning speed after the Guardian newspaper reported that the News of The World had hacked into the phone of teenage murder victim Milly Dowler in 2002 and may have impeded a police investigation into the 13-year-old's disappearance.