Thursday, December 14, 2017
 
 
Feature: Page (1) of 1 - 12/28/11 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page facebook
Fatal Conn. fire reminds homeowners of ash dangers
Deadly Christmas house fire in Conn. renews calls for safe disposal of hot ashes
By The Associated Press

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ' Fire safety officials are warning homeowners about the dangers of fireplace ashes after a Christmas morning blaze that killed five people in Connecticut.

Authorities say the fire in Stamford was caused by a bag of fireplace ashes left near the back of the home. Seven-year-old twin girls, their 10-year-old sister and their grandparents died.

The U.S. Fire Administration says ashes can remain hot enough to start a fire for up to 24 hours. The agency recommends leaving ashes in the fireplace protected by a metal or glass screen with the damper open.



If the ashes are removed, they should be placed outside in a metal container well away from the house.

The agency says hot embers or ashes cause more than 11,500 residential building fires a year.


Page: 1


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





Our Privacy Policy --- About The U.S. Daily News - Contact Us - Advertise With Us - Privacy Guidelines