|Page (1) of 1 - 06/15/12||email article||print page|
Conn. US attorney's office says Puerto Rican nationalist to plead guilty in 1983 $7M robbery
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ' The U.S. attorney's office in Connecticut says a Puerto Rican nationalist who's one of the last people charged in a $7 million armored car depot robbery in 1983 has agreed to plead guilty.
Federal prosecutors didn't give details Thursday of the deal with Norberto Gonzalez Claudio. His attorney hasn't responded to requests for comment.
The U.S. attorney's office says a hearing is scheduled for Friday in U.S. District Court in Hartford.
Gonzalez is not accused of directly participating in the West Hartford heist. He has pleaded not guilty to charges including bank robbery, conspiracy and transportation of stolen money. He was captured in Puerto Rico last year.
The robbery was orchestrated by Los Macheteros, a group that claimed responsibility for robberies, murders and bombings in the 1970s and '80s in the name of Puerto Rican independence.