|Page (1) of 1 - 08/17/11||email article||print page|
Boxer Mayweather, others sued in shooting incident at Las Vegas skating rink two years ago
LAS VEGAS (AP) ' Superstar boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is facing a civil lawsuit from two men who say he orchestrated a shooting attack on them two years ago outside a Las Vegas skating rink.
The lawsuit obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press accuses the undefeated fighter, Ocie Harris and others of making threats since the attack.
Lawyers for Mayweather and Harris ' who is accused of firing shots at the plaintiffs ' were not immediately available for comment.
Lawyers for Quincey Williams and Damien Bland said in the lawsuit filed Tuesday that they want Mayweather and his associates to stop contacting them, plus money for damages.
Robert Adams and Robert Eglet, the lawyers who filed the lawsuit, were not available Wednesday because they were preparing for an unrelated trial, officials in their office said.
Harris has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in the shooting. His trial is scheduled for February.
Mayweather (41-0) is currently training for a Sept. 17 fight against Victor Ortiz.
According to police, Mayweather argued with Williams on the night of the shooting inside the Crystal Palace Skating Center. Police say the dispute started over a text message Williams sent Mayweather saying he hoped the boxer would lose his comeback fight.
At the time, Mayweather was preparing for a comeback fight against Juan Manuel Marquez, a bout he won by unanimous decision.
Authorities have never accused Mayweather of firing shots and the boxer has never been criminally charged in the case. Witnesses told police they saw Harris talking with Mayweather and later firing at least five shots at a BMW sedan with the two men inside. Neither man in the vehicle was wounded.
Mayweather later denied knowing Harris or having any knowledge of a shooting. But police said they linked the boxer and Harris through witnesses, surveillance videotapes and records seized when authorities served search warrants at Mayweather's home.
The lawsuit said the men now live in "immediate and mortal fear" of being hurt by Mayweather and the other people they say are responsible for the shooting.
Williams told the Las Vegas Review-Journal last year that he used to work for Mayweather years ago, but quit because of pay.
"He (Mayweather) feels like he's entitled to do whatever he wants and get away with it," Williams told the newspaper.
Oskar Garcia can be reached at http://twitter.com/oskargarcia.