|Page (1) of 1 - 09/02/11||email article||print page|
Kids decontaminated after old blood pressure monitor breaks at Ohio day care, spilling mercury
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) ' Authorities in Ohio say a show-and-tell item got broken at an Ohio day care and spilled mercury, leading to cold decontamination showers for about 30 preschoolers.
Toledo fire officials tell multiple media outlets that an employee of Gingerbread House Too brought an old blood pressure monitor to show the children on Thursday. It was left on the floor and a child in a rocking chair rolled over it, breaking a glass tube on the device that contained mercury.
Five adult supervisors also went through the precautionary decontamination. Afterward, everyone checked out safe for mercury, and fire officials said they weren't concerned about any health problems resulting from the exposure.
The day care is closed as it undergoes a thorough cleanup, expected to take days.