|Page (1) of 1 - 04/13/12||email article||print page|
Newark Mayor Booker rescues neighbor from fire, is treated at hospital for smoke inhalation
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) ' Newark officials say Mayor Cory Booker has been taken to the hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation while trying to rescue his neighbors from a fire.
Mayoral spokeswoman Anne Torres says Booker arrived home Thursday night to find the house next door on fire. Booker and two of his security detail entered the home to help its residents escape. Booker went to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, but Torres said he was doing fine. He was expected to be released shortly before midnight.
Booker, a prolific social media user, tweeted late Thursday that he was fine and thanked followers for their concern. "Just suffering smoke inhalation," he tweeted. "We got the woman out of the house. We are both off to hospital. I will b ok."