|Page (1) of 1 - 02/13/12||email article||print page|
OJ Simpson robbery victim facing Nellis Air Force Base store shoplifting charges in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (AP) ' A victim in the O.J. Simpson armed robbery case said Monday he'll fight misdemeanor shoplifting charges involving incidents at the military exchange at Nellis Air Force Base.
Bruce Fromong told a Las Vegas judge that he wanted a jury trial on two petty theft charges that could get him up to a total of a year in jail and a $2,000 fine if he is convicted.
But Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure replied that Fromong is eligible for a trial before a judge, not a jury. The judge appointed the Clark County public defender's office to represent Fromong and set another hearing for March 12.
Fromong said outside court that he intends to plead not guilty.
Fromong and another sports memorabilia dealer were robbed at gunpoint during a 2007 confrontation with Simpson and other men in a room at a Las Vegas casino hotel. Simpson claimed he owned the items that were taken.
In the shoplifting case, police accused Fromong in a report of opening the packaging of a PlayStation 3 video game and removing the price tag from a nearly $50 briefcase on Oct. 2.
He also is accused of removing contents from another PlayStation 3 game, taping the package shut and putting the box back on a shelf before leaving the store Nov. 4.
It was unclear exactly what was taken.
Fromong, 57, lives in North Las Vegas. He told The Associated Press he is out of work and disabled by physical ailments including heart trouble that he blamed on the armed robbery that resulted in Simpson's conviction and state prison sentence of nine to 33 years.
Fromong also has a civil lawsuit due for trial this month seeking monetary damages for his ailments from Simpson and five convicted co-defendants.
Simpson, now 64, lost a bid last year to have the Nevada Supreme Court hear an appeal of his conviction.