|Page (1) of 1 - 03/12/12||email article||print page|
OJ Simpson robbery victim pleads no contest, told to pay restitution in Nellis AFB theft case
LAS VEGAS (AP) ' A victim in the O.J. Simpson armed robbery case pleaded no contest Monday to taking a video game and a briefcase from the Nellis Air Force Base military exchange.
Bruce Fromong, 57, of North Las Vegas was fined $350 and ordered to pay $140 restitution after entering the plea to two misdemeanor petty theft charges.
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure also ordered him to complete a petty larceny counseling class and said the case would be dismissed next March if Fromong stays out of trouble.
"That'll not be a problem, your honor," Fromong said. He could face 60 days in Clark County jail if he doesn't comply.
Fromong could have faced a year in jail and up to a $2,000 fine if he had been found guilty of the charges.
Fromong, who was represented by a public defender, said outside court that he didn't remember pilfering items Oct. 2 and Nov. 4 from the base store at Nellis. He said he thinks he was under the influence of a bad combination of pain medications at the time.
Store videotape clearly showed him committing the thefts, he said. The videos weren't made public.
Fromong appeared in court with his right arm in a sling following shoulder surgery. He blames the injury on the 2007 gunpoint robbery involving Simpson and five other men in a room at a Las Vegas casino hotel.
Simpson claimed he confronted Fromong and another sports memorabilia dealer to retrieve items that had been stolen from him following his acquittal in the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman, in Los Angeles.
Simpson, now 64, is serving nine to 33 years in state prison in northern Nevada.
Fromong has a lawsuit pending against Simpson and other co-defendants seeking monetary damages for his ailments.