|Page (1) of 1 - 08/31/11||email article||print page|
Mexico police looking for 7 more suspects in arson attack on casino that killed 52 people
MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) ' Mexican officials said Tuesday they are looking for seven more suspects in addition to five already arrested in an arson fire at a casino that killed 52 people and shocked a country used to grisly displays of drug violence.
At least 12 people were involved in the attack in this northern industrial city, Nuevo Leon state Gov. Rodrigo Medina said.
Medina commented as authorities showed journalists the five alleged members of the Zetas drug cartel who have been arrested in the case.
Gunmen ignited gasoline at the entrance to the Casino Royale on Thursday. Terrified customers and employees ran deep inside the building, and many were found dead from smoke inhalation in offices and bathrooms.
Police are investigating whether the attack was in retaliation for not paying extortion money.
Later on Tuesday, Nuevo Leon state police discovered the bones of seven people inside metal barrels at a camp in Monterrey's hillsides that apparently was used by a drug gang.
Local media said the five men in police custody for the casino attack led officers to the site, but authorities did not confirm that. They announced only that the remains had been found and gave few details.