|Page (1) of 1 - 09/02/11||email article||print page|
Natural gas explosion and fire damage San Diego County McDonald's; customers, workers escape
ENCINITAS, Calif. (AP) ' A natural gas explosion and fire has badly damaged a McDonald's restaurant in San Diego County, but customers and employees escaped before the blast.
The San Diego Union-Tribune (http://bit.ly/n5Aiqu ) says the explosion at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday caved in the roof of the restaurant in Encinitas, Calif. Damage was put at $500,000 to $700,000.
Encinitas Fire Marshal Robert Scott says kitchen workers smelled natural gas and told customers to leave. Four customers and at least four employees got out safely.
The blast sparked a fire that took about an hour to control. A neighboring optometry business had smoke damage.
Information from: The San Diego Union-Tribune, http://www.signonsandiego.com