|Page (1) of 1 - 07/10/12||email article||print page|
Second suspect in 2008 San Francisco triple murder of father, sons arrested in North Carolina
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ¯¯¯ Authorities in North Carolina arrested a second suspect Monday in the 2008 killings of a father and his two sons in San Francisco.
After four years as a fugitive, Wilfredo Reyes, 31, was arrested at a home in Salisbury, N.C., after trying to escape through a window, according to the San Francisco district attorney's office.
Reyes was booked into Rowan County Jail on an outstanding murder warrant involving the shooting deaths of 48-year-old Tony Bologna and his two sons, 20-year-old Michael and 16-year-old Matthew in the Excelsior neighborhood.
Reyes faces extradition to California, where he will be charged with three counts of murder, as well as one count of conspiracy to murder and one count of attempted murder, authorities said.
Last month, Edwin Ramos was sentenced to three consecutive life sentences in prison without possibility of parole after being convicted of three counts of first-degree murder.
Prosecutors said Ramos opened fire on a car carrying Bologna and his three sons after mistaking one of them as a member of a rival gang. They said Ramos was seeking revenge for the shooting of a fellow MS-13 gang member earlier in the day.
Andrew Bologna, the lone survivor in the drive-by shooting, identified Ramos as the gunman.
During his testimony, Ramos maintained he was only the driver of the car and didn't know his passenger, Reyes, would start shooting.
Under the city's sanctuary policy, Ramos, an illegal immigrant, had never been turned over for deportation despite previous run-ins with the law as a juvenile.