|Page (1) of 1 - 07/28/11||email article||print page|
Norway security chief calls July 22 attacker a lone wolf and incarnation of 'total evil'
OSLO, Norway (AP) ' The head of Norway's Police Security Service says the right-wing extremist who shocked Norway with a bombing and youth camp massacre appears to be a sociopathic lone-wolf who kept his diabolic plans to himself for more than a decade.
Janne Kristiansen tells The Associated Press that the case is unique and that the 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik "is total evil."
She says there is so far no information supporting the Norwegian's claims that he's part of a militant network and that there other cells ready to strike. Kristiansen says Breivik doesn't appear to have shared his murderous plot with anyone, and lived a lawful and moderate life before the twin attacks on July 22, that killed 76 people.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
OSLO, Norway (AP) ' Norwegian police said Thursday they will again interrogate the suspect in last week's bombing and shooting massacre that killed at least 76 people, seeking to ensure that there are no more attacks on the horizon.
Invstigators will interview Anders Behring Breivik again on Friday and will focus on whether there is "any more danger," police attorney Paal-Fredrick Hjort Kraby told reporters.
Breivik, who has confessed to the attacks, has claimed wide contact with individuals and groups he says support his opposition to immigration and what he calls Muslim colonization of the West. But experts have cast doubt on his claims and questions persist about whether there was a genuine network or if Breivik's statements were exaggerations.
Police have not turned up any signs that copycat attacks might be committed, Kraby said.
But they are clearly concerned that Breivik could inspire others. Kraby said Brevik's next hearing will be closed "just in case he's able to send messages by code" to associates.
Police have so far only interviewed the suspect once, in a seven-hour session the day after the attack. Kraby said Breivik is in contact only with his lawyer and investigators. He also said the Norwegian police have been in touch with the FBI regarding the attacks, but he did not elaborate.
Breivik's attorney has said his client considers himself a "savior" and that he is likely insane. Breivik has pleaded not guilty to the terrorism charges he faces.
The attacker was wearing a home-made police uniform during the slaughter at the island youth camp and urged victims to come closer to him before shooting. Kraby said the uniform included a police emblem on the shirt, but it was not clear where he had obtained it.
The search for missing has ended on the island. Police official Johan Fredriksen said the number still missing was "at a minimum"
Norway's response to the attack on a Labor Party youth camp on the island of Utoya, has been criticized. Though it is just 25 miles (40 kilometers) from Oslo, it took police 90 minutes to get there. The crew of the sole helicopter available to police was on vacation, and the first boat that officials tried to take to the island broke down.
The leader of Norway's Delta Force anti-terror police unit on Wednesday defended the special operations team and said the breakdown didn't cause a significant delay. The team jumped into other boats and got to Utoya quickly, police officials said.
Police gave an eerie account of the end of the siege, saying Breivik obediently gave up the moment police approached him, holding his hands over his head.
"It was a completely normal arrest," said officer Haavard Gaasbakk.
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday an independent commission will be formed to investigate the attacks and determine what lessons can be learned from the response. The commission also is to help survivors and relatives cope with the aftermath. Parliament said it is willing to help pay for funerals, and a monument will be built to commemorate the victims.
He said Norway will never be the same, but insisted the massacre shouldn't change the country's culture of tolerance, calling on Norwegians to embrace the openness Breivik said he was trying to destroy.
Perhaps mindful of many Norwegians' reserved ways, Stoltenberg urged the country to fully grieve: "I have cried, and I have told many people that they should not hesitate to cry."
The national sense of heartbreak is being renewed daily as police slowly release names of the dead. The identities of only 17 of those known to have been killed have been officially confirmed. Eight died in the explosion and 68 died in the camp shootings.
Georgian officials said Thursday the body of a young Georgian woman missing after the shooting rampage has been found. Tamta Liparteliani's body had been found on the bottom of the lake with gunshot wounds in the back. She was identified by her fingerprints, Georgian Deputy Foreign Minister Nino Kalandadze said.
The youngest known victim so far was identified Wednesday ' camper Sharidyn Svebakk-Bohn, who turned 14 five days before the rampage. Another victim confirmed dead at the camp was a stepbrother of Crown Princess Mette-Marit, 51-year-old police officer Trond Berntsen, who had been providing security on the island.
An employee of Stoltenberg's office, 51-year-old Anne Lise Holter, was confirmed Wednesday as one of the eight dead in the bomb blast.
Heintz reported from Stockholm. Louise Nordstrom in Stockholm and Ian McDougall and Bjoern H. Amland in Oslo contributed to this report.