|Page (1) of 1 - 10/11/12||email article||print page|
The Knights Hospitallers captured and established their headquarters on Rhodes in 1307. They remained there for 2 centuries and built into one of the most fortified cities in Europe. The citadel of Rhodes, is one of the best preserved medieval towns in Europe which in 1988 was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 1912 Italian troops took the island over with the rest of the Dodecanese Islands, and established an Italian colony which lasted until the end of WWII. The Italians would later demolish the houses that were built on and around the city walls during the Ottoman era. They also reconstructed the Grand Master's Palace. Lyndos is about 55 km south of the town of Rhodes and its fine beaches make it a popular tourist and holiday destination.
|The Island of Rhodes, Greece|
Source:GrabNetworks (c). All Rights Reserved