|Page (1) of 1 - 07/27/12||email article||print page|
Man suspected of planning terror attack in Cyprus ordered to stand trial
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) ¯¯¯ A Cyprus police spokesman says a man suspected of helping to plan attacks against Israeli tourists on the east Mediterranean island has been ordered to stand trial.
Andreas Angelides told the AP on Friday that the 24-year-old man faces a total nine "terrorism and terrorism-related charges," the most serious of which carries a sentence of life in prison. The trial has been scheduled for September.
Cyprus Justice Minister Loucas Louca has said that the Cyprus suspect displayed similar behavioral patterns to a suicide bomber who killed five Israeli tourists and a bus driver in Bulgarian seaside resort earlier this month.
Cyprus authorities have remained tight-lipped about the man's identity or his intended target, but have said they believe he was acting alone.