|Page (1) of 1 - 02/15/12||email article||print page|
City: Pacific Gas & Electric breaks off talks on compensation fund for pipeline explosion
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ' The city of San Bruno says Pacific Gas & Electric Co. has broken off settlement talks with the city about a compensation fund for a deadly gas pipeline explosion.
San Bruno officials are urging the utility to make good on its promise to pay the city restitution for the September 2010 blast, which killed eight people, destroyed 38 homes and laid waste to a neighborhood overlooking the San Francisco Bay.
City spokesman Sam Singer said Wednesday that San Bruno officials have been negotiating a settlement officials including PG&E President Chris Johns since last fall. But he says the utility abruptly walked away from the negotiating table last week.
That settlement would be in addition to a trust fund PG&E created to pay up to $70 million to help the city cover the cost of rebuilding.