|Page (1) of 1 - 10/11/12||email article||print page|
The Pierides Collection covers a wide range of the history and archaeology of Cyprus, from the Early Bronze Age (2500 BC) to the end of the Medieval period (sixteenth century). The collection has described by experts as one of the richest in the world in Mycenaean pottery. In 1567, the Venetians who controlled the Island commissioned the design of a 3 mile long new ffortified wall for the city of Nicosia, in order to protect the inhabitants from imminent Ottoman attack. Cyprus Archaeological Museum houses artefacts discovered during numerous excavations on the island. The museum is home to the most extensive collection of Cypriot antiquities in the world and is located on Museum Street in central Nicosia. The Archbishop Palace dates from the 18th century and houses the Byzantine Museum with the largest collection of icons on the island, covering the period from 9th to 18th century. The Famagusta Gate is the largest and most impressive of the three gates of the walls of Nicosia.
|Visiting Nicosia Cyprus|
Source:GrabNetworks (c). All Rights Reserved