|Page (1) of 1 - 08/05/11||email article||print page|
Concrete workers who staged job action at ground zero return to the job
NEW YORK (AP) ' Concrete workers who staged a 3-day work stoppage at the World Trade Center site over pay cuts have reached a deal with management.
The Cement and Concrete Workers District Council and the Cement League, which represents management, have agreed to extend a contract until Aug. 16.
Louis Coletti, president of a management umbrella group, Building Trades Employers' Association, told the Wall Street Journal (http://on.wsj.com/nHIxiH ) that talks are scheduled to resume Friday.
The paper says the workers returned to the job on Thursday after the deal was reached.
Meanwhile, the union representing about 22,000 carpenters has voted to authorize a strike if a deal with management isn't reach by Friday, when its contract extension expires.
Carpenters joined the concrete workers' job action in solidarity earlier this week.
Information from: The Wall Street Journal, http://www.wsj.com